Puffer fish are eaten as a delicacy in some parts of the world, such as Thailand and Japan. While skin and internal organs are not safe to eat, meat can usually be cooked and consumed without worrying about the poison. Eating puffer fish cooked by a cook who regularly does not deal with this type of fish is still dangerous yet. Chefs of low qualification accidentally killed their guests, without removing the proper organs and skin. Depending on which species and organ were consumed, however, it is possible for humans to survive the poison for puffers.
These fish can be found in natural salt bodies – either freshwater, or in aquariums. When held captive, they are usually not poisonous, because the toxins they use are found in natural masses of water. While keeping fish as pets is usually an option, they may require more content than a more ordinary aquarium fish, such as a goldfish. In general, they need a covered reservoir to prevent them from jumping out, and must be provided with a clam to prevent their teeth from becoming too long. The type of tank required depends on the species of fish, as they can grow anywhere from 1 inch (2.5 cm) to more than 2 (0.6 m) feet long.
Another natural protection of puffer fish is its toxicity. Most species have poisonous internal organs, and some even have poisonous skin. Even if the fish is killed and absorbed by a predator, this natural defenses can cause serious illness or death. His predators are not only different fish, but people as well.